I know I could never be an extreme minimalist but I also know that I will never get back to be a maximalist like I used to be anymore
It is very late that I only got to understand more about minimalism in end of 2016, and I constantly knew how much I needed it in my life
Have you experienced difficulties getting into deep sleep, always having restless mind (even when you are at a quiet environment and ought to calm down, but you just could not)?
I could not remember how excited I was after I read so much about minimalism and understand that being a minimalist can help me to get rid of those small things bothering my mind (what to eat for dinner, what to wear tomorrow, where is the wallet I bought in last year… ), sometimes these bothered me so bad, not to mention I am someone full of bazaar ideas, which was making my mind worked long hours.
When I read what benefits I could have by decluttering, I was amused. I only thought I could save space of my room, but in real, I actually could save the space in my mind, to spend lesser time thinking about unimportant things, in another meaning, I make more time for more important things.
Eg: When I have lesser things in my room, it means I only spend lesser time to tidy them, to clean them (think of laundry work), I make some spare time to read (which is what I always want to and look for time to do so)
I have always been trying to make my life as simple as I could, and until I finally studied more about minimalism, I know some actions are needed, if I want to life a simple life, I need to live it humbly by action and not by just thinking about it and talk about it. I took action right away, yes, back to the basic rule of ‘nothing beats do it now’.
I took below 2 instant easy actions:
- Declutter my stuff and clear them from 100% to 30%, by March 2017, this shall start from my clothes which is almost 40% of my current possession : So far, I already sold 20% of my clothes online, and donated some out to charity
- Make and eat simple meal at home, limit the choices : I usually have same breakfast, and salad for my dinner (sometimes with a bowl of soup); my principle is to take more greens and add more variety in each meal
- I cancelled 3 other credit cards I have which I hardly use and keep only 2 cards (from same bank) now : I am sick of getting shocked to find out I forget to make payments to credit cards and eventually being charged by late payment charges. Even with auto advanced-payment tools available nowadays, it is just too much (checking bill, calling to bank, monitoring payment due date etc). Now I only use service from 1 bank and I can easily monitor all under one account
- I deleted all unused apps in my phone/ipad, unsubscribe newsletter from all unnecessary websites : They are taking up too much of my space in my devices, worst they occupied too much of mind, kept making me think that I never had finished my daily work seeing the unread emails
I set below 2 rules:
- Do not buy any clothes unless it is for the necessary for my work purpose (I think I can achieve this especially after I know how much clothes I have owned, I am never short of clothes
- Do not keep duplicate (this rule helps me to think twice before I decided to bring anything home, it is basically one-in-one-out rule)